It’s a crazy time in the French Quarter in New Orleans during Mardi Gras and it’s a great time to celebrate at home. Let the kids make some incredible, edible Mardi Gras Masks with a super simple no chill sugar cookie dough and you can roll-out those cute cookie masks with ease with our kids -sized silicone rolling pins.
MARDI GRAS COOKIE MASKS
Makes about 12
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons baking powder
3 cups all-purpose flour
Preheat oven to 375°F.
1) In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Add baking powder and flour one cup at a time, mixing after each addition. Dough will be stiff. Do not chill dough.
2) Divide dough in half. Roll each half about 1/4 inches thick. Dip heart shape cookie cut cutters into flour before each use.
3) Using the heart cookie cutters, cut out 2 hearts per mask. Lay hearts on cookie sheet side by side overlapping the pointed ends of each heart and press down slightly to shape into one piece. Cut out two oval shapes in the center of each heart for the eyes.
4) Brush each mask lightly with milk or cream and sprinkle and decorate with assorted candy decorations.
5) Bake cookies on a foil-lined sheet pan sprayed with non- stick spray on middle rack of oven for 8-12 minutes, or until cookies are lightly browned.
“Peek-a-Boo”- Eat your mask and I will see you!!
Recipe adapted from the Fairies Cookbook, Barbara Beery
For an author-signed cookbook please go to: