Let It Snow! Well, the weather outside is frightening back east and that means kids are out of school and in the house. After they’ve played in the snow and made snowballs and snowmen, get them to head to the kitchen and bake-up a batch of edible snowballs baked in the oven. Sounds impossible and that’s what makes it such a magical treat for kids…And these snowballs are too good to throw!
BAKED SNOWBALLS ( mini Baked Alaska’s)
4 to 6 slices of cake
Ice cream, frozen yogurt, or sorbet (your favorite flavor)
3 egg whites, room temperature
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
4 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Use 2-inch or 3-inch round baking dishes or ramekins. Square dishes will not work. Cut each slice of cake into a circle so that it fits into the bottom of the baking dish. Place circle of cake on the bottom of each dish. Set aside until ready to use.
- Fill the dishes to the top with ice cream, frozen yogurt, or sorbet. Then place filled dishes on a cookie sheet and put in freezer.
- Place egg whites in a mixing bowl and whip until frothy (like soapsuds).
- Add cream of tartar and beat until soft peaks form (like shaving cream).
- Gradually add sugar and then vanilla. Continue to beat until smooth and shiny (another 2 to 3 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F
- Remove ice cream–filled dishes from freezer and spread the snow meringue over the top of each of the ice cream cups. Make very sure the snow forms a “blanket” over the ice cream. There should be absolutely NO ice cream showing.
- Put snowballs in oven and bake until golden brown, from 1 to 3 minutes. Watch very closely as they brown quickly.
- Take out of the oven and garnish each with chocolate syrup and a cherry. Serve immediately.