Today at our Kids Spring Break Cooking Camp we are heading to Disneyland where we’ll stir-up some Magical Kingdom recipes to make every day a wonderland in the kitchen!
MAD HATTERS FRUIT PUNCH TEA
Makes 4 cups
1/4 cup honey
2 mint-flavored tea bags
4 cups boiling water
1/2 cup fresh or frozen red raspberries
Powdered sugar and orange slices for garnish (optional)
Let’s Get Brewing!
1. Place honey in a teapot; then add tea bags. Pour in boiling water. Cover and let steep for 5 minutes. Remove tea bags.
2. Pour hot tea into pretty tea cups and place 2 to 3 raspberries into each cup.
3. Add a small slice of orange and dust with a touch of powdered sugar if desired.
You’ll go “mad” about this sweet tea!
THUNDER MOUNTAIN THUNDER CAKE
Makes a 2 layer cake or 6- 4 inch mini pie pan cakes
21/2 cups cake flour
1/2 cup dry cocoa- 1 tablespoon for dusting cake pans
11/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup shortening
1 3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 eggs, separated (Beat whites until they are stiff, then fold in.)
1 cup cold water
1/3 cup pureed tomatoes
Pre- heat oven to 350 degrees F
1. Place all dry ingredients in a large bowl and whisk to combine. Add the rest of the ingredients except beaten egg whites and use a mixer to combine all ingredients. Fold-in beaten egg whites to mixture and divide batter evenly between 2- 8 inch cake pans which have been sprayed with non-stick spray and lightly dusted with cocoa or divide evenly among smaller mini pie pans.
2. For 2 cake pans bake 35-40 minutes, for 4-inch mini pie pan cakes bake about 20- minutes.
3. Cool at least 15 minutes and frost with your choice of chocolate frosting.
Garnish with fresh strawberries.
Kid-friendly kitchen tip:
1. For younger kids( 7 and younger) read the story Thunder Cake by Patricia Polacco before you make the cake recipe.
PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN CHICKEN PLANKS
2 cups bread crumbs
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 pound boneless skinless chicken strips or tenders
2 Tablespoons melted butter
Let’s get Going!
Preheat oven to broil
1. In a large zip lock bag, combine breadcrumbs and grated cheddar cheese. Close and set aside.
2. Dip each piece of chicken in egg and then put 3-4 chicken pieces into bag with breadcrumb mixture. Shake chicken in bag and press crumbs onto strips of chicken.
3. Remove each piece of chicken from bag and place on a foil-lined sheet pan which has been sprayed with cooking spray.
4. Spoon melted butter over each one and bake under a broiler (3-5) minutes or until golden brown and cooked through turning over chicken once if necessary.
Serve with honey mustard or ketchup.
Kid-friendly kitchen tips:
1. For an extra fun activity, make some homemade honey mustard sauce.
1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
1/4 cup prepared Dijon-style mustard
1/2 cup honey
Mix it all together and serve!