Nothing says “Spring” better than red, ripe, sweet & juicy strawberries. Get the kids in the kitchen to make, bake and decorate these “easy as pie” strawberry shortcakes made with purchased puff pastry. Give the kids 2-3 inch assorted shapes of cookie cutters and let them cut-out different shortbread shapes from the puff pastry. Strawberry Shortcake…It’s what’s for dessert tonight
STACK ’EM HIGH STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKES
Makes 4 to 5 servings
1 package frozen puff pastry
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
11/2 to 2 cups sliced strawberries
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Strawberries for garnish
To make shortcakes
- Thaw dough for 30 minutes before using.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Open 1 sheet of puff pastry and place on floured work area. Gently roll out and smooth pastry.
- Use a round cookie cutter to cut out a total of 12 to 15 shaped pastries.
- Place individual pastries on a foil-lined cookie sheet sprayed with nonstick cooking spray, brush lightly with melted butter, and sprinkle lightly with sugar.
- Bake for about 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes before removing from cookie sheet.
To prepare strawberries:
Combine sliced strawberries, sugar, and vanilla in a bowl. Set aside.
To build shortcake stacks:
- Place 1 puff pastry round on a plate and spoon strawberries on top.
- Put a second pastry round on top of that and add more strawberries.
- Top with a third pastry round. Finish off with a dollop of whipped cream and 1 strawberry.
- If your shortcake stack begins to slide, secure each pastry round to the next with a toothpick. Be careful not to bite the toothpicks.
Stack ’em high and eat ’em up!