Celebrate July 4th!
Looking for some fun and fast treats that kids can make for the 4th? We’ve got three simple recipes we’ve been making at Kids Cook! for 4th of July that I’d like to share with you. Star- Spangled Cupcakes start with a white cake batter with portions colored red and blue to create a tie-dye cupcake. Red ,White and Blueberry Nachos are a great way to combine the seasons freshest fruits in a clever kid-friendly snack. Patrotic Parfaits make a cool 4th of July dessert and are also super for a tasty breakfast treat or a cool and sweet summer snack after a long day in the sun.
Makes approximately 20 to 24
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
1 cup whole milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Red and blue paste food coloring
Assorted red, white and blue candies and sprinkles
Lets’ Bake Cupcakes!
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line muffin cups with papers.
1. In a small bowl, combine flour, salt and baking powder with a whisk. Set aside until ready to use.
2. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time.
3. Add flour mixed with baking powder and salt alternating with milk beating well; stir in vanilla.
4. Divide the batter between 3 bowls; coloring one bowl of batter red, one bowl of batter blue and leaving the third bowl plain. Place equal amounts of each color of batter into every muffin cup filling ¾ full.
5. With a wooden skewer or a small butter knife, create a “Figure 8” in the batter of each muffin cup to swirl colors. Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until puffed up and lightly browned.
5. Remove from oven and cool cupcakes in pans for 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pans and cool them on wire racks 30 minutes. Frost and decorate.
Red, White and Blueberry Dessert Nachos Serves 1-2
1- 6 inch whole wheat tortilla, cut into 8 triangles
½ teaspoon brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons vanilla yogurt
¼ teaspoon vanilla
2 strawberries, stemmed and sliced
¼ cup blueberries
1 tablespoon mini chocolate chips
Let’s Make Some Nachos!
Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cut tortilla into 8 triangles. Place on ungreased baking sheet and spray with cooking spray.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon in small bowl and sprinkle over tortilla triangles.
- Bake 7 to 9 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven and cool for a few minutes before topping with fruits.
- While tortillas are baking, combine yogurt and vanilla in a small bowl.
- To serve, place baked tortillas chips on a plate, top with strawberries and blueberries, drizzle with yogurt and garnish with chocolate chips. Serve ASAP.
Honey Greek yogurt, approximately 2-3ounces
¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
Dash of freshly grated nutmeg
3-4 fresh strawberries, quartered
¼ cup fresh blueberries
2-3 tablespoons granola
Dollop of whipped cream
Let’s Make Parfaits!
- Combine yogurt with vanilla and nutmeg.
- In a small glass or clear cup, place a layer of strawberries, a layer of yogurt, a layer of granola and top with blueberries.
- Top with a dollop of whipped cream and a sparkler pick.
Kids Cook! Austin 512-346-3333 www.kidscookingshop.com