Let’s all celebrate National Cotton Candy Day on Monday, December 7th. I happen to love the fluffy, billowy, spun-sugary concoction that brings to mind State Fairs and amusement parks. Years ago when I wrote the original Pink Princess Cookbook, I included this signature Cotton Candy Cupcake recipe which makes an absolutely perfect dream dessert for any little Pink Princess birthday girl! I have included the recipe for you below.
While this is a much-coveted childhood treat, even the most elite and prestigious restaurants are taking advantage of this melt-in-your mouth confection as a decadent and opulent ending to a 4-Star meal. The Four Seasons in New York City even serves-up this festive, fluffy food for a BIG-TIME birthday treat complete with a lighted candle.
With Christmas just around the corner, we have a wonderful kid-friendly sized Cotton Candy Maker with all the accessories which can make visions of sugarplums a reality for some lucky boy or girl this holiday season.
COTTON CANDY CUPCAKES
Adapted from the Pink Princess Cookbook by Barbara Beery
Ingredients for Cupcakes
1 package Vanilla or white cake mix
Eggs, as many as cake mix directions state
Oil, as much as cake mix directions state
Ingredients for Frosting
1 can purchased vanilla frosting
1 teaspoon pure Vanilla extract
* ½ teaspoon bubblegum flavoring
Pink and/or blue paste food coloring
2 bags purchased cotton candy
Let’s Make Cupcakes!
Preheat oven to temperature directed on cake mix package. Line 24 cupcake molds with paper or silicone cupcake liners. Set aside until ready to use.
1. Make cupcakes according to directions, substituting milk for water and adding enough pink or blue paste food coloring to the batter to create a pastel colored batter.
2. Bake according to cake mix package instructions. Remove cupcakes from oven and cool on wire racks for 30 minutes before frosting and decorating.
3. Place the purchased frosting in a bowl and add Vanilla and bubblegum flavoring. Tint the frosting pink or blue as desired with the paste food coloring. Frost cupcakes and decorate with a small amount of cotton candy in the center of each frosted cupcake.
* Bubblegum flavoring may be purchased at cake decorating supplies stores or craft stores.